In the New Year, we often reflect on the past, appreciate the present, and look forward to the future. With all of my thoughts and reflections, this year end, I came up with an interesting and fun list of little known facts about Joe Miller and Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff.
So here you go!
DID YOU KNOW?….
1. Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff began in the Boone Drug store over 25 years ago. Joe says the reason he sold so many art supplies is he put them on a shelf between the aspirin and the Ex-lax!
2. Cheap Joe’s headquarters has one of the finest collections of art in our office hallways by some of the top names in the business. Every morning, it feels like you are walking into a fine art gallery. I like to think of it as our little Art Hall Wallery! If you happen to be in the Boone, N.C. area, feel free to come by and take a stroll down the hallway and enjoy all of the wonderful paintings we have on display. You might just run into Cheap Joe!
3. Many of the Cheap Joe’s employees are artists. We have watercolorists, acrylic and oil painters, pastel artists, and even encaustic artists with loads of technical information to share with all of you. Those who are not artists are encouraged to participate in product seminars, workshops, and demonstrations provided by our product vendors. Several demos and workshops are scheduled throughout the year to educate our employees on new and upcoming products so we can better serve you with your art supply needs!
4. Our state of the art workshop studio has been called the “Cadillac” of workshop venues! With large individual work stations, ample lighting, and a fully stocked art store next door, our students can concentrate on learning from the best instructors in the nations. We have also, recently, upgraded the traditional teaching mirror with a large flat screen monitor and overhead camera. This provides every student with the best seat in the house! Check out the 2014 Workshop schedule at Cheap Joe’s of Boone, NC.
5. We have a 365 Day Unconditional Guarantee on all of the products we sell. This is not only a guarantee, it’s a promise! Cheap Joe’s knows you must use the art materials to find out if you really like them. We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase and you have a whole year to decide! If you are unhappy with any of the products you order for ANY reason or have a question, just contact the customer service department at 800 227 2788 and any one of our friendly operators can assist you with your concern. This is absolutely the best guarantee in the business, we guarantee it!
6. Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff is the proud founder of Brushes for Vincent, a charity program committed to keeping the fine arts alive by providing FREE art materials to young, budding artists in need. This program thrives on your donations, which 100% are used to provide art materials to orphanages, hospitals and other non-profit organizations for disadvantaged children. You can help us make sure the next Vincent Van Gogh is not left behind by donating a dollar or two, today!
7. “Cheap” Joe Miller is a former pharmacist. Joe worked in the pharmacy at the original Boone Drug for years before receiving a watercolor art lesson as a gift. Little did he know this would change his future forever. He invested in quality art supplies right from the beginning even though art materials in Boone, back then, were scarce. Joe had to travel almost 100 miles away to get what he needed for his first class. The initial investment was more than he expected, but he shopped around and eventually bought in bulk from major art suppliers. Joe had to buy so much stuff from the manufacturers, that he decided to pass the savings onto local artists, as well, and Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff was born! To this day, Cheap Joe’s is still passing the savings on to artists everywhere!
8. Several of our Cheap Joe’s brand products are made right here in Boone, NC. Our Kilimanjaro watercolor blocks, pads, and Paintbooks are among those that are produced in house. Another local business, Watauga Opportunities, provides work to physically challenged adults and makes our Cheap Joe’s Original Palette, as well, as several other of our brand watercolor palettes.
9. We have a fine retail outlet store in Charlotte, NC with knowledgeable associates ready to help you with your art needs. Located at 1848 Galleria Blvd, Cheap Joe’s of Charlotte is dedicated to reaching out to the art community by hosting many events to educate and inspire local artists throughout the year. Just call 704-845-2527, and ask for Aly!
10. Joe portrays Van Gogh’s brother, Theo, in a skit performance he wrote called “With a Warm Handshake”. He tells the story of a brother’s love and belief in a struggling artist through this emotional and heartwarming production. You can purchase the DVD or we will loan it to you for FREE for your art group presentation. Grab a tissue and pull up a chair!
11. We are on Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter, and Pinterest. Follow us online for the best deals, coupons, contests and information delivered instantly right to your computer or mobile device. Look for us online!
12. Cheap Joe’s celebrates birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays as a family, complete with a celebration cake each month. Healthy snacks such as fresh fruit and veggies are also always available in the employee break room. They also host “Healthy Lunch Seminars” throughout the year to educate employees on good nutrition and healthy living. Daily walking is also encouraged when the weather permits. Cheap Joe’s knows a healthy employee is a happy employee!
13. Our first concern at Cheap Joe’s, as an art materials supplier, is to encourage others to make Art. The proof is in our catalog! The section of the first several pages of our reference catalog is expensive real estate! However, we dedicate this area for employee and customer art so you are inspired to create long before you reach all of the great art stuff! You can request a new 2014 catalog online or over the phone!
14. The Cheap Joe’s YouTube Channel is a great place to find out about creating art. We have tons of FREE art instruction and product demos from many fine artists, including Joe. Wanna know how to use a “paint pusher”? Maybe you would like to learn how to stretch watercolor paper? Want a FREE art education? Watch Cheap Joe’s YouTube Channel Now!
15. Joe Miller was born in front of the original Boone Drug Pharmacy many years ago. Back in the day, the doctor’s office in Boone, was located above the drugstore. Joe was born in a car in front of Boone Drug, because his mother didn’t make it into the doctor’s office upstairs. The drugstore became a second home to Joe when he worked there as a soda jerk in high school and after attending pharmacy school, Joe came back to work as a pharmacist until he started Cheap Joe’s.
16. Cheap Joe’s promotes art and supports many art organizations, locally, and all over the United States by donating awards and goodies for group events. Contact Christy Norris at email@example.com for more information.
17. Joe has a newly published children’s book entitled “One Night, Two Moons“. It is currently available online and will be included in our 2014 catalog. Joe has now written three books and illustrated another. They include Joe’s Journals, Watercolorists Never Die, They Just Wet There Sheets, and Thrice Told Tales. Each book is filled with humor, tips, drawings, paintings, and incredible stories of Joe’s life. “One Night, Two Moons” was written especially for children and is a delightful story of a Christmas tree farm that comes to life one night! I hope you will enjoy all of Joe’s books as much as I have! If you order a book and would like to have it signed and personalized by Joe, he would be delighted to autograph it for you. Just make a note on your web order or indicate the request over the phone.
18. On occasion, Joe will call the toll free ordering number, disguise his voice, and pretend to be a customer to check the quality of service on the phones. He will most likely ask something like “how many squeezes are in a tube of paint?” or “Why would I need more than one brush to paint with?” There is also a full sized cutout of him floating around here that has been known to fool an unsuspecting employee or two! Like the sign outside says, “A Really Fun Place!”
So you see, there are some interesting things about Cheap Joe’s that makes us just the way we are. We strive everyday to do the best we can for our customers as we consider all of you part of the Cheap Joe’s family. Anytime you have a suggestion, idea for a new product or improvements in product or service, feel free to let us know!
We are knocking on the door of the 2014 New Year with a new chance to be better than ever. Just give us a try and let us show you how much we care!
May your blessings be many and your burdens be few,
but your creation of art be constant and inspired!
May you have happiness, creative muse, and many days
with a brush in your hand and a painting on your canvas!
We hope to serve you again and again in the near future.
Happy New Year from all of us at Cheap Joe’s!