In the beginning, what mattered most to Joe Miller was to strive to use the best art materials he could afford. He has always believed that quality makes a difference. It was what he was looking for when he began, and felt others would also appreciate. Over the years, Cheap Joe’s has taken pride in the art products we sell and especially the products that bear the Cheap Joe’s name brands and logos. It is still our goal to provide fine art materials that anyone can afford, to serve our customers and to be the best in the business at both.
In years past and through today, we have been honored to have had the best of the best to teach in the Cheap Joe’s workshop studio. Artists like Don Andrews, Janet Rogers, Linda Baker, and many more. Occasionally, these professional artists are given the opportunity to sample our products and give us valuable feedback. They know and understand the importance of using quality art materials. Many of these artists, after being introduced to Cheap Joe’s name brand products, have continued to use them in their art. As a result, they now highly recommend our materials to all of their students. Below is just a small group of the nation’s top art instructors who have shared with us a few of their best art stuff tips using Cheap Joe’s brand name art stuff.
1. Joe Miller aka. “Cheap Joe”- Over the years, Joe has invented or aided the design of several Cheap Joe’s name brand products. His favorite product is, perhaps, the original Cheap Joe’s #400 Palette filled with American Journey Professional Watercolors.
2. Janet Rogers- Janet loves the American Journey Professional Watercolor pigments so much, she actually has her own color- Janet’s Violet Rose. It’s a color she just can’t do without and uses it in virtually every painting she creates!
3. Frank Francese- Frank loves plein air painting and uses many Cheap Joe’s products when he travels. He has recently discovered our new Miller’s Psuedo Squirrel Wash brushes and will never go back to the real thing! Squirrels everywhere are cheering!
4. Suzanna Winton- The Cheap Joe’s Legend Kolinsky Sable Brushes are Suzanna’s first choice in brushes. She can use the larger size rounds to virtually paint an entire painting. This top quality kolinsky sable brush is the best value around! Suzanna notes that if you want a harmonious portrait, be sure to include some of the same colors in your background that you used in your subject. Also, make sure your background is predominantly cool. So that your background will push back and your warm subject will come forward.
5. Robert Burridge- Bob starts his day by doing brush painting exercises. Small paintings produced in mass in a matter of minutes. Lots of exercise, to Bob, means lots of paint and he just loves the large tubes of Joe’s Prime Light fast Acrylics. With a full 200 ml. (about 8 oz.) in every tube, there is more than enough paint to work up a storm. Bob also prefers the Joe’s Prime White Gesso in place of a titanium white paint. It saves money and makes finger painting more fun right out of the jar!
6. Eric Wiegardt- Kilimanjaro 140 lb. Cold Press Natural White watercolor paper has been Eric’s choice for many years now. He appreciates its durability and value as he produces many paintings throughout the year.
7. Pat Weaver- In this video, Pat has narrowed her palette down to just three colors of American Journey Professional Watercolors. She can produce a variety of “tube colors” by mixing different amounts of Aureolin, Cobalt Blue, and Permanent Rose. This technique creates a very harmonious painting.
8. Don Andrews- Don has been a part of the Cheap Joe’s family for years. He uses the American Journey Professional Watercolors almost exclusively. If fact, he also has his own color, Andrew’s Turquoise. It is a beautiful and peaceful tropical blue green that will remind you instantly of a vacation at the beach!
9. Linda Baker- Linda relies on the high intensity and fine milling of the American Journey Professional Watercolor pigments for her signature pouring technique. She starts the first pour with Joe’s Yellow, the 2nd with Joe’s Red, , then Joe’s Blue, and finishes up with Indigo for the darkest areas of her design. The 37 ml. tubes make the whole process very economical!
10. “Cheap Joe”- Joe has lots of tricks up his sleeve and he can’t wait to share them with all of you. Like this great tip using the Paint Erase product, there are hundreds of videos available on Cheap Joe’s You Tube Channel that will help you get well on your way to painting.
Artists are always looking for the newest and best materials available and with digital technology, you have more options than ever to find what you need anytime night or day. We know when you call, you have made a choice to call us. At Cheap Joe’s, we have been recruiting the opinions of artists for decades. We understand that your first impression of our products, price and service really matters. We have made providing great customer service and gaining your confidence our number one concern. We welcome your suggestions, and we try to consider every bit of advice we receive.
Hearing makes us aware. Listening makes us better.
So, if you have a concern about service or the quality of our products, please let us know. You can send an email, write a note, and especially you are welcome to call us at 800 227 2788. Just know we want to hear from you and we will try to address your concern immediately.
I hope these product demos and tips have sparked an interest in a product or new technique. You can find these and many more videos on the Cheap Joe’s You Tube Channel. Stay tuned for more in the future!
Have a Happy Top Tip Day!
and keep sharing your thoughts with us
because we want to know!